On Feb 21, 12:36 am, emil <emil.widm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Rob, you understand more than I do - is this a bug (big step of
> time needed for that type of calculation at an rather arbitrary
> number)? Should I create a track ticket for that? Do you have also an
> opinion on the various other points?

And Martin A knows more than I do.  ;-) (Thanks for your comments,
Martin.)

As Martin noted, the cutoff is not as arbitrary as I made it appear.
(I was just too lazy to clean it up.)  I would not call this a bug, it
is just the current upper bound on optimized implementations.  Martin
has been doing a lot for fast linear algebra for specific cases, so we
may be doing better in some cases (such as powers of 2).

http://martinralbrecht.wordpress.com/2012/01/20/sage-4-8-is-out/

The fact that Mathematica does so much better in the original example
posted might be some extra motivation to extend the current
boundaries, but I can only speculate on how much work that would be.

Rob