On 5 Mar, 2012, at 09:38 AM, Jim Clark wrote:

> On Mar 5, 2012, at 8:57 AM, John H Palmieri wrote:
>
>> This works for me:
>>
>>   export SAGE_BROWSER='open -a /Applications/Firefox.app'
>>
>> (Change this to the path to the firefox app, if necessary.) The
>> documentation apparently needs to be fixed, at least as far as OS X is
>> concerned.
>>
>> Oh, a few more things, in case people are reading this who aren't that
>> familiar with the Terminal app and bash: you can give the command
>>
>>   export SAGE_BROWSER='open -a /Applications/Firefox.app'
>>
>> at the shell prompt and it will have immediate effect, so you can test it
>> right away.  Second, if you instead change .bashrc, you should start a new
>> terminal window for the changes to take effect. You can test whether it has
>> done anything by typing 'export' and seeing if SAGE_BROWSER is listed with
>> the appropriate setting.
>
> Thanks for your help, John.
>
> It turned out to be more complicated, trying to understand the deep mysteries
> of the bash shell and how Terminal is configured on my system. In spite of
> what the man page for bash says, Terminal seems to be ignoring the .bashrc
> file in my home directory, and instead reads .bash_profile. I was finally
> able to get Sage and notebook() to start Firefox by putting the export
> SAGE_BROWSER line into .bash_profile, not .bashrc.

To clarify this, I believe that the man page says that .bash_profile is checked
for a login shell, and that .bashrc is checked for a non-login, interactive
shell.

I'm not at a 10.6 system right now to verify that, but it is the case on 10.7,
and I have my "profile/rc" set up with that assumption on both 10.6 and 10.7.

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon at Large
Director