On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 8:45 AM, Graham Gerrard
<graham.gerr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Finding occasional inconsistencies when using matrices with cyclotomic
> entries, though works well most of the time...
>
> sage: s=CyclotomicField(24,'s').gen()
> sage: (8*s^6-1)^10
> -1098715216*s^6 - 372960063
> sage: xb=matrix(1,1,[8*s^6-1])
> sage: xb^10
> [1036922553*s^6 - 372960063]
>
> Above example is trivial computation, though problem recurs in several
> contexts.  I believe that scalar multiplication is correct and xb^10
> incorrect. Above example works OK when powers<10.
>
> Any suggestions?

This was already found and fixed (maybe by me?).  E.g., in sage-5.0-pre15:

sage: sage: s=CyclotomicField(24,'s').gen()
sage: sage: (8*s^6-1)^10
-1098715216*s^6 - 372960063
sage: sage: xb=matrix(1,1,[8*s^6-1])
sage: sage: xb^10
[-1098715216*s^6 - 372960063]

To sage-release:  yet another reason to release Sage-5.0   *ASAP*.

William

--
William Stein
Professor of Mathematics