Hi sage-support and sage-notebook,

I recommended that a department try upgrading not just to Sage 5.0 but also
to the new notebook in preparation for a conference later this summer.  Can
anyone decipher this error message?  My very uneducated guess I sent to
them was

1) Whatever machine you're running this on has Chrome as the default browser
2) You installed Sage, or are running it, as root
3) For some reason it's trying to open a browser automatically.  The server
should still work...

Thanks!
- kcrisman

The second step of the sage 5 upgrade, I guess you would call it the "new
notebook interface" produces an error:

Google Chrome can not be run as root

Please start Google Chrome as a normal user.
To run as root, you must specify an alternate  --user-data-dir for a
storage of profile information.

After several hours nothing I have tried resolves this.

Would you like me to skip this part and move on to RStudio upgrade or keep
working on this error.

Gary