On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 at 05:37PM +0100, John Cremona wrote:
> 3. I ran latex on that file twice.  A file example.sage was created.

That's the weird thing to me: on the LaTeX end, if you're using
sagetex.sty as included with 5.0, it should create
"example.sagetex.sage". If it made example.sage, then it must be an
older version of sagetex.sty that somehow got used.

Can you try doing

$ latex example.tex | grep sagetex

That should give you a full path to whatever LaTeX is using when
typesetting your file. That *should* be the same as what "kpsewhich
sagetex.sty" returns, but perhaps something strange is happening.

> What did I do wrong?  By the way, if I cd into
> $HOME/texmf/tex/generic/sagetex/  and there run latex on the
> example.tex file there, it creates a file example.sagetex.sage on
> which sage runs fine, and after rerunning latex (twice) I get a dvi
> file which looks perfect.

That tells me that LaTeX must be getting confused somewhere. We just
need to figure out what wrong version of sagetex.sty it is finding.

Dan

--
---  Dan Drake
-----  http://mathsci.kaist.ac.kr/~drake