On June 28, 2012 09:25:18 AM Jeroen Demeyer wrote:
> On 2012-06-26 20:40, rst wrote:
> > package source:
> > www.cecm.sfu.ca/sage/linux/64bit/sage-5.0.1-linux-64bit-ubuntu_10.04.3_lts
> > -x86_64-Linux.tar.lzma
> This is the *binary* distribution.  If you want to build Sage yourself,
> use the *source* distribution:
>
> http://www.sagemath.org/download-source.html
>
> Make sure you have gcc, g++, gfortran, m4, dpkg-dev installed.

if I am using a term incorrectly, I apologize. I downloaded that file, read the
readme file, issued the make command as instructed in that file, and found the
problems with the solutions mentioned in the previously in this thread.

and to Jan Groenewald, Thank you for your point about the PPA, Unfortunately I
noticed this as well, just after I got the install to work.  : (
having said that, some sources indicated that this particular bug also affect
packages installed this way. I guess I should reinstall using the PPA to test,
but I don't know if I will.

Thank you all for your help.
Ray