Hello,

I'm implementing a code generator for simulation of simplicity (a way
to handle degeneracies in exact geometric computation).  This involves
constructing and analyzing polynomials over a number of coordinate
variables plus one special infinitesimal variable 'e'.  For example,
here's the polynomial for a 2x2 determinant (e.g., for checking
triangle areas).  We add a different power of e to each coordinate
variable in an attempt to make sure our expressions are never exactly
zero:

sage: R.<a,b,c,d,e> =
PolynomialRing(PolynomialRing(QQ,'a,b,c,d'),'e',sparse=True)
sage: p = (a+e**2**(0+1))*(d+e**2**(10+2))-(b+e**2**(10+1))*(c+e**2**(0+2)); p
e^4098 + a*e^4096 - e^2052 - c*e^2048 - b*e^4 + d*e^2 - b*c + a*d

In order to avoid all degeneracies, this function must be nonzero in
the limit of small but nonzero e regardless of the values of the other
variables.  To check this, I need to know whether the system of
polynomial equations defined by the coefficients of the distinct
powers of e is solvable over the other variables.  What is the easiest
way to do that?  Specifically?

1. How do I extract the coefficients of e as an ordered list?  I
thought p.coefficients() would do it since I constructed the
polynomial ring nested, but p.coefficients() treats the ring as
flattened.  Is that an artifact of the special assignment notation I
used to generate the ring?

2. Once I get this list of polynomials, how I check whether it's
solvable over the reals?  Ideally it will be unsolvable, but for
debugging purposes I want to know some of the solutions if any do
exist.

Thanks!
Geoffrey