Recently, a few math faculty members requested Computer Services in our
university to install Sage in each of the Windows-based computers in one of
our Computer Labs to support both our teaching and research needs.

After the sys admin installed Sage in one computer, he "discovered" that
SAGE starts a server. Soon after, this was labeled as a "security risk" and
SAGE was removed from every computer in the lab. We have scheduled a
meeting with these people to try and move forward with this problem. But I
wanted to know if people had encountered this problem in their universities
and if there are ways to go around it. It may very well be that nothing
will change their opinion, for example we are not allowed to use php in our
websites or to use ssh to remotely connect to our computers from home,
again because of "security concerns".  So I am not sure if this is a very
concrete question and if there is a concrete answer. But perhaps something
of the form "XYZ university has this setup, may help us move in some
positive direction".

Regards,

Luis