On 3 September 2012 08:49, Volker Braun <vbraun.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, September 3, 2012 4:49:05 AM UTC+1, Nathann Cohen wrote:
>>>
>>> It supports Windows as much as any Linux software that does not support
>>> windows -- install a virtual machine and run it inside. And it convices
>>> people that Sage is hard to install, hard to use, and slower than it
>>> actually is :-P
>

> Given the lack of fork() on windows, running Sage in a virtual machine is
> probably faster than running it under Cygwin. Especially if you have a
> modern CPU with hardware virtualization support. Also, Cygwin is 32-bit
> only.

I don't doubt what you say about speed on Cygwin or the fact Cygwin is
only 32-bit. But Nathann still makes valid points.

I produce software which runs on Unix and Linux, but I never claim it
works on Windows, despite the fact I'm 99.999% sure it would compile
on a virtual machine running Linux, Solaris, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, SCO or
any Unix or Unix-like system.

Dave