On Wednesday, September 19, 2012 6:34:52 AM UTC+2, Georgi Guninski wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I may be missing something, but the resultant = 1 confuses me.
> According to wikipedia [1]
> the multivariate resultant or Macaulay's resultant of n homogeneous
> polynomials in n variables is a polynomial in their coefficients that
> vanishes when they have a common non-zero solution

Note that this means n homogeneous polynomials in n variables, in your
example you only have two polynomials in four variables, it is not the same
case of Macaulay's resultant.

> My pain is $1$ can't vanish while solutions exist.
>
> Here is homogeneous example:
> sage: K.<x1,x2,x3,x4>=QQ[]
> sage: p1,p2=(x2)*(x3-x4),x2*(x3-2*x4)
> sage: p1.resultant(p2,x1)
> 1
>
> Certainly p1 and p2 have common solutions while the res. w.r.t.
> x1 never vanishes (got this in a real world situation).

As said, in this case the resultant is computed in the ring QQ(x2,x3)[x1]
and the resultant will vanish if the two (univariate) polynomials have a
common root in the algebraic closure of QQ(x2,x3). This is the standard
resultant of multivariate polynomials with respect to one variable.