"or" is just the normal Python boolean operation.

When you evaluate y == 5 or y == 15, the Python interpreter first checks if
the first statement is true:

sage: bool(y==5)
False

Since the first operand is false, the result of "or" is the second operand.

sage: y == 5 or 'second operand'
'second operand'