On 12/11/12 8:07 AM, Jim Hefferon wrote:

On Tuesday, December 11, 2012 7:45:10 AM UTC-5, Dima Pasechnik wrote:

    is pyreadline really used by Sage?
    It seems to be only needed on Windows, where Sage does not run.

Thanks for your comment.  Probably I have it wrong.  I based my opinion
on this from the Sage FAQ:

http://wiki.sagemath.org/faq#Why_is_Sage.27s_command_history_different_than_Magma.27s
buttressed by the fact that if you type garbage into the repl then Sage
gives an error message that refers to the "ipython console".  But
evidence that I am wrong is that I also see readline-6.2.p3.spkg in my
/usr/local/sage/spkg/standard directory, so I could be convinced either
way.

Assuming that Sage uses GNU readline, I spelunked the readline manual
looking for a way to disable either dynamically or at startup and did
not see anything.  I also have spent some time trying to influence the
behavior of readline via INPUTRC, as here
   bash$ INPUTRC=./inputrc sage
but I observed no effect (in ./inputrc I tried setting
horizontal-scroll-mode=off).  Could easily be my cluelessness that
caused it to not work, though.

Obviously I'm thrashing here, so I'm glad for any insight.

Sage has an expect interface for Sage: http://hg.sagemath.org/sage-main/file/33242a07d2ab/sage/interfaces/sage0.py

There's another expect interface used in the notebook: https://github.com/sagemath/sagenb/blob/master/sagenb/interfaces/expect.py#L204

I'm not sure the exact answer to your original question about disabling readline, but I hope the above helps.

Thanks,

Jason