Volker,

No its first -I<dir>, then *_INCLUDE_PATH, then the path thats hard-wired
> into the compiler. But since Sage builds its own compiler you are
> effectively overriding the search path.

however, this doesn't explain the failure i was having, where
----
gcc  -c -I. -I../src/headers -I../src/language
-I/Users/minshall/src/import/sage/sage-5.4.1/local/include -O3 -Wall
-fno-strict-aliasing -fomit-frame-pointer  -g   -o gp_rl.o
../src/gp/gp_rl.c
----
(i.e., with -I<...>/sage-5.4.1/local/include is on the command line)
appears to have picked up the <readline/readline.h> from /usr/include,
rather than from <...>/sage-5.4.1/local/include.

or, am i missing something?  (maybe i don't understand your second
sentence?)

Greg