On 28 December 2012 16:41, Volker Braun <vbraun.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, December 28, 2012 4:19:11 PM UTC, William wrote:
>>
>> I disagree.  The only reason Sage doesn't have an interface to Mathematica
>> written using the MathLink protocol is that nobody has got around to
>> writting such an interface. I would like to strongly encourage people to
>> write one.
>

> Is there actually a MathLink wire protocol that is documented (and stable
> across Mathematica versions)? All MathLink docs I ever saw just show you how
> to use shared library that Mathematica comes with.

I guess this depends on your definition of protocol. Personally I
would say using Mathlink

http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/tutorial/MathLinkAndExternalProgramCommunicationOverview.html

would provide a protocol which is stable across mathematica versions.
I know I used jmath with many versions, and I never knew it to break,
whereas the current way in Sage is fragile.

But, as you say, that does involve linking to a Wolfram Research
library and it also requires using one of their header files. Their
license permits this for non-commerical use, or one can get a
commerical license, for which I assume you have to pay.

Dave