Since a couple of versions ago, the package installation mechanism in R has
changed, and some packages are no longer installable. Case in point :
rjags, which needs code, whose installation fro CRAN packages will fail due
to different "lazy loading" management.

Reading the SPKG file of the standard spkg for R makes me think that
installing a newer R version could be as simple as creating a newer branch,
installing the newer R source in that branch and recompiling. Is that
correct ?

I tried to search relevant trac tickets, but this is not easy : "R" is not
a good target for trac searching...

More general note : tghe R "community" is somewhat adamantine about running
an up-to-date R : perusing the r-help mailing list, one can often see
questions on older R version, almost always getting the standard answer
"upgrade to <current version>  R." having at least an *optional* r-latest
spkg might be useful...

Any advice ?