On 3/4/13 1:54 PM, Luis Finotti wrote:

On Monday, March 4, 2013 2:42:48 PM UTC-5, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

    I think Sage would have a hard job breaking into the MATLAB
    strongholds in engineering. It is used to control a lot of instruments
    and data collection.

    Agilent, who are probably the world's premier test equipment
    manufacturer do not generally sell products like MATLAB. However, if
    you purchase an "eligible instrument" Agilent well sell a MATLAB
    license.

http://www.home.agilent.com/agilent/editorial.jspx?cc=US&lc=eng&ckey=2001996&nid=-33330.781262&id=2001996

<http://www.home.agilent.com/agilent/editorial.jspx?cc=US&lc=eng&ckey=2001996&nid=-33330.781262&id=2001996>

    Perhaps Sage, linked into all the required open-source sotware could
    perhaps do everything MATLAB can. What it wont have what is acceptance
    in the industry like MATLAB does.

    Dave (a Chartered Engineer, not a mathematician!)

Thanks all for the replies so far.  I can see the "stronghold" of MATLAB...

Can anyone comment on how fast is Sage (with SciPy and/or NumPy) in some
concrete applications or benchmarks?

Some random stats from some random website from a few years ago: https://modelingguru.nasa.gov/docs/DOC-1762

They have threads there periodically about numpy/scipy vs. matlab. A lot of people migrated to numpy/scipy from matlab, and at least some of the reasons appear to be centered around Python being a much better general purpose programming language.