I think this problem has to do with attaching a file.  I noticed that
"attach" has been deprecated.  Using either 'attach' or '%attach' seems to
cause the proliferation of extra files.  The 'load' command or '%runfile'
does not seem to have this behavior.  The problem with the 'attach' command
seems like a bug to me.  Shouldn't these extra files be stored in some tmp
file in the sage directory that get erased at the end of the session, or
something like that?

Thanks,
Dave