I don't know if this is the right place to answer this, since the question
is so old, but I found a work around.

Note: The problem still exists with sage 5.8, but it is difficult for me to
find a minimal example that replicates the problem.  I am convinced it is
not a sagetex problem, however, but is a problem with sage. (this may be
wrong, but, my thinking is that way, now).

I found a workaround, that I post here incase anyone runs into the same
difficulty.
I put each chapter in its own tex file, and \include{chapter} in the main
tex file.  Then, for each chapter, I do \includeonly{chapterx} in the
preamble.  Thus, when I run sage, it only does the calculations for that
chapter and does not get bogged down.  Once I've done every chapter, I
remove \includeonly, and latex the entire file again.

Best,
S.M.