> The command I used which caused the error was from sage.matroids.all
> import *. I added the matroids (I think this one worked) by using 'sage -hg
> clone https://bitbucket.org/matroid/sage_matroids' and '../sage setup.py
> install' from the shell prompt, but got the following errors on the second
> command:
>
> Error compiling Cython file:
>         versionB = 0
>         size = 0
>         limbs = 0
>         longsize = 0
>         for i from 0 <= i < self.nrows():
>             versionB, size, limbs, longsize, data =
> bitset_pickle(self._M[i])
>                                                                 ^

These errors are because we moved some code out of our codebase and
directly into Sage. I think this is the easiest way to get matroids to work
right now:

0) From a terminal shell, run

/path/to/sage -clone mymatroid

(this will ensure the "main" branch of sage stays untouched,
see http://www.sagemath.org/doc/developer/walk_through.html#creating-a-sandbox
)

1) Download the .patch files from each of the following pages:

http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/7477 (only the two mentioned in
the description).

2) Start Sage from the directory to which you saved the patches, and issue
these commands:

sage: hg_sage.apply("trac_14668_bitsets.patch")
sage: hg_sage.apply("trac_7477_setup_doc_load.patch")
sage: hg_sage.apply("trac_7477_code.patch")

Watch for any errors.

3) Quit Sage, run

/path/to/sage -b

4) Enjoy!