Consider the equation
*(I*x^51+sum(x^k,k,0,50))==0*
Try to solve it numerically using
*solve([(I*x^51+sum(x^k,k,0,50))==0,x==x],x,solution_dict=True)*
and you obtain 51 solutions of which 50 have modulus approximately 1 and
the other is close to 1+I. Substituting back gives residuals of around at
most 10^-6. That looks fine and Mathematica gives similar solutions. Now
substitute x-1-I for x, so that one of the solutions should now be close to
zero. Sage now gives solutions with real and imaginary parts both between
-1 and +4, but none are particularly close to zero.The residuals now range
up to 10^20. Mathematica gives completely different answers but which are
also wrong, namely all 51 are approximately 1.

Any ideas?

Tony Wickstead