kcrisman,

Thanks for your prompt reply.  I am no longer building Atlas.  However, I
did

*export SAGE_ATLAS_ARCH=PPCG4,AltiVec*

before attempting to build Sage.

Other environment variables that were exported:
SAGE_CHECK=yes
SAGE_SPKG_INSTALL_DOCS=yes
SAGE_MATPLOTLIB_GUI=yes
SAGE_PARALLEL_SPKG_BUILD=no

I apologize for not including this info in my original post.  Although I
ended up installing the binary for Sage 5.13, I am still interested in
building Sage, so if this helps you to diagnose the trouble, please reply.
 I will be listening...