AFAIK both implement the same basic algorithm. My guess is that nauty
quickly realizes that it has a huge problem and starts constructing graph
invariants in an attempt to answer it to the negative. If you were to
compare two graphs that are actually isomorphic I'm pretty sure that you
wouldn't find such a big difference. For practical applications it is of
course important to have this trick using easily-accessible graph
invariants, but its probably not that hard to implement..