Here's the answer I just posted to your question on Stack Overflow
(http://stackoverflow.com/questions/22612301/xlrd-xlwt-with-sagemath):

Rather than installing them with the system Python, install them with
Sage's Python: you can either do sage --sh: this starts a subshell with
various environment variables set appropriately for use with Sage, in
particular $PATH will have $SAGE_ROOT/local/bin first. Then install the
packages with python setup.py install etc. Or you can just run Sage's
Python directly with sage --python setup.py install ....

--
John