sage: f.is_irreducible??
<snip>
        if 0 == GF2X_IterIrredTest(self.x):
            return False
        else:
            return True

Okay, what's GF2X_IterIrredTest?

sage: search_src("GF2X_IterIrredTest")
libs/ntl/ntl_GF2X_decl.pxd:62:    long GF2X_IterIrredTest "IterIrredTest"
(GF2X_c f)

This leads us to NTL's IterIrredTest, searching for it leads to:

http://www.shoup.net/ntl/doc/GF2XFactoring.txt

long IterIrredTest(const GF2X& f);

// performs an iterative deterministic irreducibility test, based on
// DDF.  Fast on average (when f has a small factor).

Gruß,
Martin