Hi
The problem is in scaling the arrows.  I used "arrow". look for plots with
"arrow".
  http://sage.math.canterbury.ac.nz/home/pub/138 (2d is at the bottom- no
problem, 3d is in the middle and requires jmol)
  http://sage.math.canterbury.ac.nz/home/pub/142
Original credit for this idea is to Katie Glockner:
http://sage.math.canterbury.ac.nz/home/pub/83/

Of course you know how to do gradient fields:
http://sage.math.canterbury.ac.nz/home/pub/210

Paul's stuff (lamar) is the best static material I have every seen.
Hope this helps, Linda FS