Hi, debian linux, Sage-6.2.

 It took me some time to track down a problem in my code that boiled down
to the interpretation of a caret ("^") in a file which was read using
load() in a sage session.

Specifically, I have a file called "f.py" which contains a single line, "o
= 10^6".  I load() this file, expecting o to be 1000000, but instead it
takes the value 12.  This is , I think, the result of a bitwise xor
operation.  But it is not what I wanted.

sage: !cat f.py
o = 10^6
sage: load("f.py")
sage: o
12
sage:

Note that in interactive mode, the caret is interpreted as expected:

sage: o = 10^6
sage: o
1000000
sage:

Is this a bug?  Can anyone advise?  I am very very very reluctant to adopt
the ghastly "**" notation.

best wishes

Robin

--