On Jun 24, 2014, at 8:11 AM, Dan Drake <ddr...@math.wisc.edu> wrote:

Hi,

If I start Sage within emacs with M-x run-sage, and then try to get a
docstring with "plot?" (or any other function), then emacs locks up and
I have to kill it and start it again.

Here's my setup:

Sage 6.3.beta4, sage-mode 0.10. I do M-x run-sage, and things work fine
until I try to view a docstring -- then I get (the Debian equivalent of)
a spinning beachball and I have to kill emacs. See attached screenshot.

This is with Debian 7.5, emacs 23.4.

Any suggestions, other than "don't view docstrings"? :)

Upgrade to 0.11.  At least I don’t have any problems, and there was a
similar issue fixed.

0.11 should be the default after #16294.   If I use `sage -i sage_mode` it
does indeed find version 0.11.  However, `sage -optional` shows version
0.10.  Does anyone know what I have to do to fix that?  I suspect it has to
do with the fact that I changed it to the new style spkg (where the
metadata is local), but there is still an old spkg online for older
versions of sage.  Perhaps I could just update that spkg as well?  Or maybe
`sage -optional` just needs to be more clever.

-Ivan