I am having problems with matplotlib, Sage plotting and, apparently,
backends.  I have installed Sage 6.2 on my Mac Book Pro (system 10.6) (I
just upgraded from Sage 4.2). I have removed all copies of matplotlibrc
from my computer except for the file buried in Sage-6.2/.../mpl_data/. All
choices of backend resulted in the errors:  _backend not found, where
_backend is the name of the library that should load for the backend (e.g.
_tkagg for TKAgg).  My partial solution is to use the _tkagg from my prior
Sage version which I produced by a compile many years ago before I had Sage.

I have tried several scenarios to run my code:  iPython (in Terminal), Sage
(in Terminal), and as a script.  Scripts and iPython are run through the
Sage 6.2 package.  I mostly run from script which has the most problems.  The
most successful situation is with TKAgg. However, calling plot(...) and
show() from pylab and D.show() from Sage (where D is a graph) have
different successes.  Here is a table of what does and does not work (view
with monospace font).

*Backend   Plot call    iPython  Sage   Script*

*TKAgg     D.show()     Yes      Yes    No (but Preview does launch)*

*          pylab.plot() Yes      Yes    Yes *

*No*

*Backend   D.show()     Yes      Yes    No (but Preview does launch)*

*          pylab.plot() No       No     No*

No Backend means I commented out the backend statement in matplotlibrc.

TKAgg is the most successful, but not fully.  And I had to add the _tkagg
library to the Sage package.

Sorry for the verbose post, but I thought I'd try several things, first. I
did see a previous post about some bug in Sage 6.2 using the wrong
.matplotlib folder, but I don't know what that tells me.

I can limp along with what I have above, but any help very appreciated.

--------------------------------

Code generating problems:

(1) D.show() version:

*adjls=[[0, 1, 0, 1], [1, 0, 1, 0], [0, 1, 0, 1], [1, 0, 1, 0]]*

 *M= Matrix(adjls)*

*D= Graph(M)*

*D.show()*

(2) pylab.plot version: