On 2014-10-24, Mike <miller...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This was a "demonstration problem" - my actual application will involve
> arbitrary-precision reals with lots of constraints.
>
> It appears that PPL not only supports rationals, but insists on them.  It
> seems to set the base_ring to QQ, as the output from the following code is
> "Rational Field", but I can find no way to alter base_ring.  Any
no, you can't do this. PPL is a C++ library that only works with rationals.

Do you mean to say that your "abritrary precision reals" are irrational?
If not, then why don't you just work with rationals?

> suggestions on how I might accomplish that?  (For glpk the base_ring is
> "Real Double Field", and I can't find a way to alter that either.)
the arbitrary precision part of glpk does not have a Sage interface,
nobody got around to dig it up.