I tried installing sage 6.4 from several binaries but everytime I started a
> new sage and type in some calculations, the above warning message appears.
> If I re-type the exact calculations again, such warnings disappear.
> Further, it seems that these warnings are related to certain calculations,
> but not all.

Let me guess that they only happen when you do integration or symbolic
summation?  In which case somehow the Sage Maxima instance is looking for
this.  It doesn't appear to be affecting the calculation, at least.

> sage: integral(x*sin(x^2),x)
> ld: warning: directory not found for option
> '-L/Users/buildslave-sage/slave/sage_git/build/local/lib'
>

> I'm running on a OS X 10.9.5. I tried download binary files from different
> locations, but the same warnings appear. I also tried to install via source
> code, but unfortunately failed.  Many thanks in advance.

Hopefully you won't need to, but did you manage to get the command line
tools from Apple?  That should suffice. (See the developer
guide http://www.sagemath.org/doc/developer/index.html and installation
guide http://www.sagemath.org/doc/installation/source.html#prerequisites .)