Hello !

> I would like to know if there is any workaround for solving this issue for
> version 6.6. Unfortunately, there is no dm.c and no random.c in the sage 6.6
> directory structure so as to replace them and so I do not know how to
> proceed.

Sigh... Modular decomposition. A story of many disappointments.

No, right now you will not find those two files in Sage's source code.
They are, however, contained in the optional package that is
downloaded when you run "sage -i modular_decomposition", and all that
is done on them is compile them into a shared library named
libmodulardecomposition (if I remember correctly. Not of my own
computer at the moment) located in SAGE_ROOT/local/lib/. If you
compile this shared library from the new sources, there should not be
any problem. If you do not know how, open the archive and look at
"spkg-install", it contains the lines that do that.

I feel a bit guilty telling you how to make it work on your computer;
for we have a REAL problem with this package. What we need is to get
the original authors to solve it.

1) The old version of the sources (those that we ship) returns wrong
results. For instance on yours, as you were the one who reported it
first.

2) The new version of the sources apparently returns correct results
on your architecture (and on mine), but .... not on all of them. Look
at this ticket I opened when you first reported it:
http://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/13744

As you can see, the "new" version still triggers segfaults or wrong
results on some machines that we use to test Sage. Thus, my attempts
at upgrading Sage's version of the code were (rather legitimately)
refused.

I am stuck with those files, and I do not like this situation (at
all). We ship something which returns wrong results, the problem is
fixed by updating to a new version which returns wrong results too or
even segfaults, and of course I get absolutely no answer from the
authors, whom I reminded regularly of the problem.

To be honest, I feel like removing this from Sage. That was part of
the reason behind that more recent change, which made it an optional
package.

Really, the best you could do to help us is send an email to the
authors. Tell them about your problem, and how cool it would be if it
worked, as this situation is bad advertisement for everybody.
Computing modular decompositions is cool and everything, but we can't
just keep buggy code in Sage, even if we raise a warning whenever it
is used :-/

Nathann