Thats right f(g(x)) is not irreducible obviously, shame on me.

I did this to get the order:
sage: (k[x](x^7+x+1)).roots()[0][0].multiplicative_order()
127

First root, multiplicative order.

The real confusion comes from the notation I guess. When you said
k[x](x^7+x+1) i obviously thought we are generating an Ideal. This is
obviously untrue since k[x]() is a function who casts it into the
ring.

This is really confusing, Thanks for your help.

best,
evrim.