On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 12:01 PM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 2:41 AM, Jernej <azi.std...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> I would like to use Sage on a large computing grid running on CentOS 6.
>>
>> I've asked the administrators (CC'ed) of the grid to install Sage on the
>> grid system and they reported back that they have tried to install 3
>> different versions and all of them fail to install/compile.
>>
>> It is a bit messy to debug the compilation errors since I do not have access
>> to the system and I'd have to get this info from the admins back and forth.
>>
>> Hence I was wondering: do you happen to know if there is any way to make the
>> precompiled (Ubuntu/Debian) versions of Sage work on CentOS 6? Which
>> specific version should that be?
>
> Don't do that!  One should create a virtual machine running CentOS 6,
> build Sage on it, and then give the binary to the ops people.
>
> I just noticed that Google compute engine has ready-to-go CentOS 6
> instances, so I'll just try running one and doing this and report back
> -- I guess it'll take a few hours.

The not surprising result -- given your original post -- is that Sage
doesn't build on CentOS 6.   I took the standard minimal CentOS 6
image (on Google Compute Engine), then did this:

    yum groupinstall 'Development Tools'

and downloaded sage-6.7, extracted the source, and typed "make", which
ended in failure building git (complete build log at
http://wstein.org/tmp/install-fail.log.bz2  -- I put the end at [1]
below).

I have no additional time to work on this.  I think your options include:

 1. setup a CentOS development environment somewhere and get Sage to
build on it, or

 2. wait and hope some Sage developer decides to make Sage support
CentOS 6 (which isn't even the current version).

3. Try to use a binary built for a different platform on CentOS --
maybe it will sort of work well enough for your use.

4. pay somebody to do 1.

 -- William

[1] End of build log:

Can't locate ExtUtils/MakeMaker.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
/usr/local/lib64/perl5 /usr/local/share/perl5
/usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl
/usr/lib64/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 .) at Makefile.PL line 3.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Makefile.PL line 3.
make[4]: *** [perl.mak] Error 2
make[4]: Leaving directory
`/home/salvus/sage-6.7/local/var/tmp/sage/build/git-2.3.0/src/perl'
make[3]: *** [perl/perl.mak] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/home/salvus/sage-6.7/local/var/tmp/sage/build/git-2.3.0/src'
Error building git.
=====

--
William (http://wstein.org)