Hi,

I don't know anything about http://sage.lacim.uqam.ca/, but I'm
starting to get emails directly to me asking for help about it
vanishing.    Of course, I'll refer people to this thread.

Thoughts:

This is a very interesting example of how our past approach of
encouraging a lot of people we don't know to run random Sage notebook
servers all over has the potential to confuse users and significantly
harm the reputation of Sage.  I had never considered this before.   If
I had, I might have wanted to have a requirement like:

    - either (1) don't call it Sage, or (2) we provide a backup system
that periodically rsync's a copy of your notebook's file to a central
server, just in case.

It might be interesting to discuss technically how (2) would work.  It
could, e.g., pre-encrypt the backups for each user separately using
their login credentials as a key, so as long as they can login they
could get their data out of this central backup.

I will very likely do something like the above with Sagemathcloud,
when instances start popping up all over.  Make them choose a clearly
very different name to avoid confusion, or somehow link with a central
service to avoid hurting our poor users.  To me the needs of our users
are by far the top priority.  In particular, though "Stories about
student losing against their will "all hard work" make only their
teachers smile ...", I think instead that when this happens it is a
failure of the Sage community, and we should try to do better.

 -- William

William (http://wstein.org)