Dominique gave the right hint because the folder in the env variable didn't
exist:

sage: env SAGE_DOC
'/usr/share/doc/sage'

The problem is solved by installing the package 'community/sagemath-doc
6.7-1' (on Manjaro Linux) and we can check:

$ ls /usr/share/doc/sage/
ca/  common/  de/  en/  fr/  hu/  it/  output/  pt/  ru/  tr/

Now the question mark works again but as Volker noticed if you have a
"conf.py" file in your working directory you will get an error.

Thank you!