Have you tried using elimination ideals?

K=QQ['s,t,a0,a1,a2']
K.inject_variables()
I = Ideal( a0-s^2, a1-t^2, a2 - (s^2+t^2))
I.elimination_ideal([s,t])
Ideal (a0 + a1 - a2) of Multivariate Polynomial Ring in s, t, a0, a1, a2
over Rational Field
So a2 = a0 + a1
The elimination ideal tells you which algebraic relations are between s^2,
t^2 and s^2+t^2. In general, you have to check if there is a polynomial in
the elimination ideal that is linear in a2. I think that you can attain
this taking a Grobner basis with respect to a block order where a2 >
[a0,a1,x,y,z]

If you have denominators, you have to saturate the ideal with respect to
them before attempting the elimination.