I've just upgraded to Sage 6.9 from 6.8. I have a large number of packages
that I've installed by using:
  python setup.py install --user
so they have been placed in /home/me/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/...

Previously Sage would automatically search this location looking for
packages and so I could do "import mypackage" and everything would work
fine. It now appears that Sage is no longer searching this path
automatically and so attempting to import these packages results in a
"ImportError: No module named mypackage". Is this a bug or was no longer
has been previously listed as a feature of both Sage and Python,
see http://sage-devel.narkive.com/kld2G6DI/sage-python-packages-and-local
and https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0370/