While working on #18836 I run into this, which is still a problem with
7.0beta1.   In summary, I define an element d of QQbar which happens
to equal -5 but is constructed by finding a root in QQbar of a
polynomial with coefficients in a number field.  Then d.sqrt() raises
an error, unless I first compute d.imag().is_zero() (which is True).
There is some special casing in QQbar.sqrt for real arguments, but in
this case you only know that the argument is real if you test whether
the imaginary part is exactly 0.

Test code attached,  It runs fine unless you comment out lines 35.36
in which case an error is raised.  It's the simplest I could make it.

John