On 04/05/2016 01:03 PM, William Stein wrote:

> I think we should change is_prime for rational numbers, since people
> get confused by this so much.
>
> How?  Pretty much any change at all would be better than the current
> situation.  Options I can think of:
>
> - make is_prime([rational]) raise an error and tell the user what to do
> - look at what is_prime([rational]) does in Pari, Mathematica, etc.,
> and do the same thing
> - make is_prime([rational]) return is_prime(ZZ([rational]))    -- this
> would be a change that would potentially silently break some code, but
> is what many people expect.

Why not have two? The problem is that everyone knows what is_prime() is
supposed to do -- it's supposed to tell you if a number is prime. Except
it doesn't always do that, it does some abstract mumbo jumbo whenever
you don't have an integer (even if you do "have an integer").

We could leave is_prime() for humans, and have is_prime_in_ring() for
people who know what that means.