Hi.

The referee for a paper I've submitted has asked us to provide some brief
remarks on both the time *and space* taken for the various examples we
provide for our code. A lot of people talk about benchmarking time, so I'm
not really asking about that here (though if you think using default_timer
from the timeit module is a bad idea, feel free to speak up!). Rather, I
have no idea how to properly report how much space was used in a
computation. What I've come across is:

resource.getrusage(resource.RUSAGE_SELF).ru_maxrss

It seems like running this at the end of the computation (with a clean boot
of sage to begin with) might make sense, but I just don't know. Is there a
standard way to do such a benchmark? The code we are using is written as
new modules and so is fully incorporated in the copy of sage we are running
(in case that matters).

Thanks,

Rob