In addition to what others have written in this thread, there is yet
another potential confusion, stemming from such data types as elements of
 polynomial rings. E.g.

sage: R.<x,y>=QQ[]
sage: f=2*x*y-5
sage: type(f)
<type
'sage.rings.polynomial.multi_polynomial_libsingular.MPolynomial_libsingular'>

shows that f here is neither a python function nor a symbolic expression.
Although you can convert it to the latter, as follows:

sage: SR(f)
2*x*y - 5
sage: type(SR(f))
<type 'sage.symbolic.expression.Expression'>

And there are more cases like this in Sage's interfaces to optimisation
software.

HTH,
Dima