OK. What you have found is a way to display an (internal|external)
cross-reference. This is standard matkdown : see this description
<https://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax#link> in the original
markdown page (1.0.1, dated 2004).

I was thinking more about the lines of automatically generating a table of
contents, based on (for example) title levels, or some specific markup.
This is something sorely lacking in markdown (while implemented by about
all the word processors I am aware of...).

Sorry for the noise...

--
Emmanuel Charpentier