Hey everyone:

It's seemed to me lately that the state of the documentation is kinda all
over the place and dated. I've been having increasing trouble recently with
finding the documentation for functions online, perhaps my Google skills
are falling off? I know that you can always run function()? and have it
give you the documentation, but I think it should be in a place were it's
easy to find and read online. Mathematica's website has a great reference
section for documenting its functions; it's informative and well presented.
Ours, unfortunately, doesn't seem to be in one place. Also, both the
function documentation and the main tutorial look quite dated. A while back
I had sent in some feedback regarding Sage and what I thought needed
improvement, and in that feedback I mentioned two websites whose layout
looked very elegant. One of them is here:
https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/
The other is this:
http://jupyter-notebook-beginner-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/execute.html

While their documentation might not be as thorough as ours is(at least,
from what I could tell), I think the design and layout of their
documentation is very very nice. I don't know how Atlassian does its layout
(if they designed it on their own or use a premade layout), however I
believe Jupyter uses something called https://readthedocs.org/, which is
free. I honestly think that we should move over to what Jupyter is using
for their documentation, at least for the tutorial. Perhaps there is
something better for the documentation of functions, maybe something
similar to what mathematic has set up.

I also think its important that all of the documentation be hosted at the
same place.

What do you guys think? Do you like the layouts in the links above? Do you
have any other ideas? I'm happy to help with this transition, if we do
decide to do it. I could go on about this but, basically, I like the format
mahematica uses for documenting its functions, and I like the format
Jupyter(and Atlassian) uses for their tutorial. I don't know if any
progress was being made on these things but, if not, I wanted to bring some
attention to it and start a discussion about it. Thanks for taking the time
to read this!