Hello.

Who is the author of the quote "I would like to die. ..." ?

Le 3 févr. 2017 01:40, "Justin C. Walker" <jus...@mac.com> a écrit :

On Feb 2, 2017, at 12:51 , Watson Ladd wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I believe the q.polynomial() routine where q is a quadratic form is off by
> a factor of 2. Or at least it should be. If we take the form q of
dimension
> 2 such that
> q(1, 0)=q(0,1)=1, and q(1,1)=2, then q.polynomial() is 2*x_0^2+2*x_1^2,
> which seems weird to me. Also the documentation should state we take twice
> the Gram
> matrix as the input matrix: this isn't inherently clear.

This "weirdness" has been with us since the 18th or 19th centuries :-}

I think it was cemented into the landscape by Gauss's Disquisitiones: his
idea of a binary quadratic form is one of the form
    a*x^2 + 2*b*x*y + c*y^2

If you want a "less weird" (Langrange) approach, and are interested only in
binary forms, look at the class BinaryQF.

HTH

Justin

PS: Weil's "Number theory: an approach..." discusses this (from an
historical perspective).

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon at Large