On Friday, April 7, 2017 at 5:18:34 PM UTC+1, Chris Seberino wrote:

> I have no doubt you know about group theory and math in general more than
> me.  I have no doubt
> your answer is defensible and accurate.
>
> What I'm concerned about is the young students and what they expect to see
> when
> they type factor( ... ).

They have to get used to the fact that the answer depends upon the domain
the object they factor
comes from. Think e.g. about x^2-2  factored as (x-sqrt(2))*(x+sqrt(2))
 --- or not, if we only allow rational
coefficients in our polynomials. Or x^2+1 being factored as (x-i)*(x+i)
 --- or not, if we only allow real coefficients...