Dear Graham

On 8/12/18 11:48 AM, Graham Gerrard wrote:
Vincent: Tried installing sagemath using your recipe.  Works OK for my
original problem.  However, have now reverted for several reasons...
(a) 8.1 not 8.3

Indeed. That is the life of packages in a distribution such as
Debian/Ubuntu. You should have 8.3 packaged in few months. But you can
say the same with all packages there: LaTeX, gcc, etc. On the other
hand, Debian guarantees that all these packages live perfectly well
together.

(b) I usually add packages to the GAP pkg directory.  I didnt find such a
directory.  sagemath structure looks very different.

The SageMath on Debian/Ubuntu is using the GAP from the system. Which
means that any GAP package have to be installed from apt
(I don't know if GAP optional packages are available in apt).

Maybe, GAP also provides an alternative way of installing
packages in this situation.

The Sage binary is simple: put everything in one folder (including
Python and possibly gcc!!). The distribution way of thinking is
organized similarly to what you can see in $SAGE_ROOT/local

 /usr/bin/     : binaries
 /usr/lib/     : libraries
 /usr/include/ : header files
 /usr/share/   : extra files (eg documentation)

In the Debian way of thinking, it is Sage that is weird.

(c) Seems slower than 16.04 tarball solution.

This is very weird. Do you have concrete examples (you can actually
measure the time taken by a command using the %time and %timeit
IPython magic).

Vincent