Hi,

> On 17 Oct 2018, at 13:48, Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Max,
>
> On Wednesday, October 17, 2018 at 12:04:02 PM UTC+1, Max Horn wrote:
> I am having the same problem, on a slightly newer machine: MacBook Pro 15",
> late 2012, with a 2,3 GHz Intel Core i7, specifically i7-3615QM, so Ivy
> Bridge. Running on Mac OS X 10.11.6, and I made sure to get the .dmg for that.
>
> It would indeed be great if SageMath somewhere specified what hardware is
> supported. Even better would be if during startup, it could check the used
> hardware, and display a warning if it is unsupported. Best of course would be
> if it just worked...
>
> the advise is, as usual, to build from source.

Thanks, but no thanks :-). I'll look for non-SageMath alternatives for my
visualization needs, I'd prefer that anyway.

I merely took the time to report this again as I thought it might be a useful
data point for you guys to know that there are even more recent machines where
SageMath does not start, and I also wanted to re-emphasize the wish to have a
better user experience in this case.

> I'd recommend using the latest 8.4.rc1 from develop branch of
> https://github.com/sagemath/sage.git
>
> Then you'd do
> ./bootstrap
> ./configure CC=cc CXX=c++
> (to use Xcode's clang - there are other options, e.g. let Sage build its own
> gcc...)
> followed by make
>
> There could be issues with conflicting macports/fink etc, so it's better to
> move them out of the way
> (at least from PATH etc)
>
> It would speed things up if you already have gfortran installed and in your
> PATH, though, as presently Sage
> would have to build it from source on OSX...

Uhm, so I am supposed to remove or hide all the usual means to install things
like gfortran, and then have gfortran installed anyway? Huh.

Nah, I'll pass.

Regards,
Max