I can not reproduce (or I misunderstood your instructions). Please
provide a *complete* list of commands that lead to the problem. Here
is what I got

   sage: a = SR.var('a')
   sage: b = SR.var('b')
   sage: f(r) = r^5*(1-r^2)/((1-2*a*r+r^2)*(1-2*b*r+r^2))
   sage: assume( -1 < a < 1)
   sage: assume( -1 < b < 1)
   sage: integral(f, (r, 0, 1))
   Traceback (most recent call last):
   ValueError: Computation failed since Maxima requested additional
   constraints; using the 'assume' command before evaluation *may*
   help (example of legal syntax is 'assume(b^2-1.0>0)', see
   `assume?` for more details)
   Is b^2-1.0 positive or negative?

It is kind of silly that SageMath or Maxima can not make
deduction such as

    -1 < a < 1  =>  a^2 < 1.

Then

   sage: assume(a^2-1 <0)