> On Dec 29, 2018, at 11:04 , Adam O Hausknecht <ahauskne...@umassd.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have attempted to install SageMath 8.5 on a 15" 3.1 GHz Intel Core i7 16GB
> 2017 MacBook Pro running Mac OS 10.14.2
>
>       • First the App version via DMG. This caused my MacBook Pro to restart
> while attempting to open the .DMG
>       • Second via the Terminal version via .tar.bz2. This generated the
> arched crash log when attempting to launch via the Terminal

I have roughly the same system as you, with 10.14.2.  I have successfully
installed the 8.5 “.app” from the DMG without issue (although I can’t seem to
start sage in a terminal window).

I have yet to install from the tarball, but it sounds like you unpacked the
tarball and then tried to run “./sage”.  Is that correct?  If so, that does not
work, because the tarball contains only source.  To use it, you have to first
build it, which, AFAIR, takes about 1-2 hours if you include testing.  It also
requires you to have the Xcode command-line tools installed.

If you are not up for building from scratch, there should be a .dmg of a
pre-built 8.5 version for 10.14 at the same place you got the .app version.
That may work better for you.

If some of that is unclear, or you want more pointers/info, reply back.  There
is also information available on the sagemath website.

HTH

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large