Hi !

I'm trying to compute the determinant of a sparse, square matrix with
50,000 columns and coefficients in GF(5)["x y z t u"]. I'm trying my luck
with the magma interface, since we have a copy of magma running at my
university.

The first thing surprising me is that, on toy examples, magma seems pretty
slow, but that may be for another question. At least it works.

But when I try

foo= magma(my_matrix)

with the real example, well I seem to have to wait forever. By contrast,
when the matrix was saved as a .sobj file and then re-loaded back, it tooks
less than 10 seconds. Why should it be so hard to enter it into Magma?

is there any workaround that is worth trying? I could somehow directly
write magma code into a file, and then hope that loading that would be
faster, but I'm not sure why i would do better than the existing magma
interface...

thanks!
Pierre